- Abu Dhabi hotels see performance lift during Eid al-Adha
- Beirut posts significant growth as performance rebound continues
Hotels in the Middle East reported negative August 2019 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted increases across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, August 2019 vs. August 2018
• Occupancy: -0.6% to 63.1%
• Average daily rate (ADR): -6.8% to US$158.79
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -7.3% to US$100.23
• Occupancy: +0.3% to 63.2%
• Average daily rate (ADR): +3.4% to US$109.54
• Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +3.7% to US$69.25
Local currency, August 2019 vs. August 2018
• Occupancy: +3.9% to 67.1%
• ADR: -0.9% to AED324.61
• RevPAR: +3.0% to AED217.73
The absolute occupancy level was the highest for an August in the market since 2015. STR analysts note that the largest ADR and RevPAR increases occurred during Eid al-Adha (11-13 August). According to STR’s market forecast, Abu Dhabi is expected to see further RevPAR growth for 2019 overall.
• Occupancy: +3.8% to 71.4%
• ADR: +13.1% to LBP289,435.32
• RevPAR: +17.4% to LBP206,641.09
The absolute occupancy and RevPAR levels were the highest for an August in Beirut since 2009, while the ADR level was the highest for the month since 2011. STR analysts note that Beirut hotel performance is rebounding after the travel ban from Saudi Arabia was revoked earlier this year. Analysts highlight that demand (+7.0%) in August outpaced supply (+3.0%), and this is a trend likely to continue as supply growth is expected to remain muted. There are no active pipeline projects in the market, according to STR’s AM:PM database.
STR provides clients from multiple market sectors with premium, global data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 10 countries around the world with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and an international headquarters in London, England. For more information, please visit str.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.